Rn-228/Th-228 Source

Hi folks,
A friend of a friend inadvertently found a source (Rad detector at a scrap
metals yard) in the trunk of a car, and wants to give it back to the owner
(to avoid disposal costs).  The source is a metal rod, analyzed by a local
lab to contain 6 microcuries of Ra-228 and and 8 microcuries Th-228 PER
GRAM (but I don't have the total weight).  I only have photos, but the rod
is about 2 inches in diameter and about 14 inches long, and looks metallic.
 The rod is bent at one end (twenty or thirty degree angle), but that might
not mean much, as it looks well-abused (lots of dings and nicks in the
surface).
If anyone has any ideas about who might have made it or what it might have
been used for, please contact me directly.  <rgmorgan@lanl.gov>
Thanks in advance.      ron