Re[2]: Dealing with NJ's recent "hot" rock panic.

     hwade@triax.com wrote:

 >UNSCEAR 94 says, in part,
>" There are extremely high numbers of spontaneous mutations. There are
>adaptive responses to radiation that, until they diminish with age, very
>effectively prevent, repair, and remove spontaneous and environmental
>mutations. Contrary to their suppression by high-dose radiation, these
>effectively and decrease the risks of mortality and cancer."
>(exerpted from United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of
>Atomic Radiation. Sources and effects of ionizing radiation. 1994 Report
>to the General Assembly, with scientific annexes. E.94.1X.11 New York
>1994.)

     And, Bruce Ames, accompanied by Lois Gold and Mark Shigenaga, in
     October 1996 issue of Risk Analysis (Risk Analysis, Vol. 16, No. 5,
     1996) stated that "The idea that there is an epidemic of human cancer
     caused by synthetic industrial chemicals is not supported by either
     toxicology or epidemiology.  Though some epidemiologic studies find an
     association between cancer and low levels of industrial pollutants,
     the studies do not correct for diet, which is a potentially large
     confounding factor; moreover the levels of pollutants are low and
     rarely seem plausible as a causal factor when compared to the
     background of natural chemicals that are rodent carcinogens." They go
     on to state; "The quarter of the American population that eats the
     least fruits and vegetables has over twice the rate of most types of
     cancer as the quarter eating the most, as shown by about 200
     epidemiological studies that are remarkably consistent. Thus, a high
     percentage of the American population is eating insufficient fruits
     and vegetables (5 portions a day is advised), particularly the poor. A
     deficiency in the vitamin folic acid (whose source is fruits and
     vegetables) is common and causes chromosome breaks, cancer, brain
     damage, and heart disease."

     Randy Brich
     USDOE
     509-376-9031
     randall_f_brich@rl.gov

     "All our science measured against reality is primitive and childlike
     -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have." Albert Einstein
     (1879-1955)