> Von: Jerry Barber <barberj@m4lp.com>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Bubbler for C-14
> Datum: Freitag, 30. Mai 1997 22:56
>
>      Hello Radsafe,
>
>      I am looking into sampling C-14 using a bubbler system originally
>      designed for H-3.  The H-3 bubbler design has 2 gas washing bottles.

>      Does anyone have any information they can share?  What is the
>      solubility of C-14 (Carbon Dioxide) in water (or should I use
another
>      liquid)?  I am just beginning to look into this so help (experience)

>      or references (possibly even vendors) would be nice!
>
>      As with every post, should you choose to respond, please email me
>      directly (unless you feel your post is of interest to the list).
>      Sounds like "mission improbable," .... this post will self distruct
in
>      ......   ;-)
>
>      Regards,
>
>      Jerry Mark Barber
>      M4 Environmental
>      1000 Clearview Ct.
>      Oak Ridge TN 37830
>      (423) 220-7673
.---------------------------------------------------------

Jerry,

There must be dozens or more of papers describing the measurement of C-14
in air. Forget about water. CO2 can be absorbed only sufficiently in a
basic medium  like NaOH or better LiOH. I know of a commercially available
absorption device from Hungary.

You did not mention whether you want to measure C-14 in CO2 or probably in
CH4. This makes quite a difference. Is it environmental levels or nuclear
power reactor levels? ......................

I post this deliberately to Radsafe, because I think that one should define
very well, which kind of information one wants from fellow Radsafers. And I
am still of the opinion that one should first consult the extensive
literature available carefully and then ask specific questions. Being a
radiochemist I know that analysis cannot been done always by purchasing an
instrument by a vendor, without background knowledge.

Franz.