Re: Bubbler for C-14

Jerry Barber wrote:

>      Hello Radsafe,
>
>      I am looking into sampling C-14 using a bubbler system originally
>      designed for H-3.  The H-3 bubbler design has 2 gas washing
> bottles.
>      Does anyone have any information they can share?  What is the
>      solubility of C-14 (Carbon Dioxide) in water (or should I use
> another
>      liquid)?  I am just beginning to look into this so help
> (experience)
>      or references (possibly even vendors) would be nice!
>
>      As with every post, should you choose to respond, please email me
>      directly (unless you feel your post is of interest to the list).
>      Sounds like "mission improbable," .... this post will self
> distruct in
>      ......   ;-)
>
>      Regards,
>
>      Jerry Mark Barber
>      M4 Environmental
>      1000 Clearview Ct.
>      Oak Ridge TN 37830
>      (423) 220-7673

Hi Jerry,

I tried to reply directly to you, but mail was returned.

I have done C-14 air sampling in bubblers.  One can not use water.  Use
either sodium hydroxide solution or an organic amine as a bubbler
solution.  I think it was ethanolamine I used.  There should be
published
methods and papers on this topic about 20-40 years ago.

Wes

--
Wesley R. Van Pelt, Ph.D., CIH, CHP                KF2LG
President, Van Pelt Associates, Inc.