Re: IATA regs

Patrick,

Here is some information from IATA that may be of some help to you.  Provided
that the levels that are being shipped, you should be able to send them as
Excepted Packages or Limited Quantity.  The following is direct from 1997 IATA:

10.5.9.2  Excepted packages are not subject to the provisions relating to
categorisation of packages, packing, labeling, marking and other shipper's
responsibilities, operator's responsibilities and packaging nomenclature,
marking, ........ general packaging requirements and any other provisions
specifically retained in this Section.

10.5.9.3  For excepted packages of radioactive materials possessing any other
dangerous characteristics, the other hazard takes precedence.  Therefore, the
package is subject to the Regulations relevant to the other hazard.

10.5.9.4  Materials in Limited Quantities:  Radioactive material whose
activities do not exceed the relevant exception limits listed in the column
headed "Materials - Package Limits" in Table 10.5.A may be transported in an
excepted package, provided that:

- These materials are packaged in such a manner that, in conditins likely to be
encountered during routine transport (incident-free conditions), there can be no
leakage of radioactive material from the package; and
- the packaging bears the marking "RADIOACTIVE" on an internal surface in such a
manner that a warning of the presence of radioactive material is visible on
opening the package.

I hope this helps.  Additionally, the a Shipper's declaration does not need to
be completed for excepted packages.

Jon Dillon
jdillon@ligand.com