Re: IATA regs

At 09:21 AM 6/3/97 -0500, you wrote:
>We are recieving some limited quantity radioactive materials from
>another institution in the near future.  We are supplying the
>styrofoam inserts as well as the outer boxes.  DOT regs do not
>requiere any package certifications for "strong tight containers".
>The inistitution that is sending us the materials wants to know if
>the boxes we are sending them conform to IATA regs.
>Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
>Thank you in advance for your help.
>
>Patrick J. McDermott
>Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety
>mcdermot@helen.rutgers.edu
>(908)-445-2550
>
>49 CFR 173.410 is the requirements for excepted packages-limited quantity
of material. This change came about with HM-169A. The only strong tight
package mentioned is for LSA or SCO exculsive use shipments. IATA uses UN
packaging requirements (173.410 meets these requirements). Chapter 10 of
the IATA Dangerous Goods book will provide the infomation. I will check for
details tomorrow.

Alan Marchand (radarm@accessnv.com)