Re: IATA regs

Per the recent revision to 49 CFR, 49 CFR 173.421, "Excepted packages for
limited quantities of Class 7 (radioactive) materials, (a)(1) requires that
"Each package meets the general design requirements of 173.410".  These
include being able to withstand acceleration and vibration from "normal
conditions of transport". This refers to 40 CFR 173.24, which, for nonbulk
packages, refers to the vibration test procedure of 49 CFR 178.608.  It is not
necessary to perform this test, but the package must be capable of passing
this test, if performed.

The IATA, "Dangerous Goods Regulations" are published annually, and are
available from the IATA, 2000 Peel St., Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I am not aware of any unusual package requirements for limited quantity
shipments.

The documentation and marking requirements are slightly different, however.
For example, the "RADIOACTIVE" marking must be on an inner surface.  Also, the
A2 values may be different.

When shipping with a carrier who requires IATA compliance, it's a good idea to
check with the carrier to be sure you're doing what they want.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

We are recieving some limited quantity radioactive materials from
another institution in the near future.  We are supplying the
styrofoam inserts as well as the outer boxes.  DOT regs do not
requiere any package certifications for "strong tight containers".
The inistitution that is sending us the materials wants to know if
the boxes we are sending them conform to IATA regs.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Patrick J. McDermott
Rutgers Environmental Health and Safety
mcdermot@helen.rutgers.edu