RE: I-131 Therapy Dose Limits

(1) - physicians perscribe doses and no limits are imposed, doses as
high as 200 mCi (sometimes higher) are used for thyroid CA.

(2) - see (1)

(3) - for high dose therapy a private room w/ bath is usually designated,
 floors, fixtures usually covered w/ removable material; therefore practically
any hospital can prepare a 'isoloation' room.  Surveys of surrounding
areas are made to ensure acceptable ambient dose rates, waste containers
in room, etc.  Following discharge, room surveyed, cleaned as necessary,
and returned to general admission service.  Depending on frequency of
patient treatments, a special room may be designated but this is not required
by regulation.

(4) - TEDE for any other individual limited to 5 mSv (0.5 rem).  Guidance
for calculations, etc may be found in NRC RegGuide 8.39, "Release of
Patients administered Radioactive Materials"

Francis K. Herbig
Department of Veterans Affairs
National Health Physics Program
herbig@nucmed.slu.edu