> Von: Denis J. Rinkacs, Jr. <dr4i@MAIL1.andrew.cmu.edu>
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Soil Sample Analysis
> Datum: Freitag, 06. Juni 1997 15:53
>
> Good Morning, Afternoon, or Evening,
>
> I am reveiwing a Phase II Environmental Site Assessment Workplan
> and have the following questions concerning an uranium ore pit
> containing approximately 1930 pounds of carnotite and 1960 pounds
> of urananite in an untouched (i.e. not processed) form:
>
> 1. How  could one pinpoint the pit's location knowing only compass
> direction and approximate feet from a reference point?  Note: ore
> buried in 1961 or 1962.  Ore was buried under approximately 4 to 5
> feet of soil.

I could imagine, that the location could be found easily due to elevated
dose rates, but I am not sure.

> 2. If two samples (one of the ore and one of the soil beneath
> the ore)were to be taken once the pit was found....why would one
> sample for vanadium?

As far as I remember from my visits to Utah, uranium was very common in
connection with vanadium. I do not know the details by heart and could not
find a book on the uranium issue in Utah which I had brought with me. But I
remember very well, that some ores were originally mined for vanadium and
different authorities quarrelled about it - one wanted the vanadium, the
other one the uranium. I brought a piece of stone from the area with me, on
which this vanadium-uranium mineral is attached in the form of light brown
crystals. Sorry I do not remember the name of the mineral, it is in the
book I mentioned.
Vanadium in the soil might be an indicator whether some ore was affected by
water - but this is a speculation.

> 3. If elevated levels, in either of the two samples, for gross
> beta and gross alpha are obtained...why would one perform
> additional samples for tritium and carbon-14?

This could be in connection with hydrological investigations - finding out,
whether rainwater or groundwater penetrates the site, which might result in
washout of radionuclides.

These are my speculations - I hope somebody else can give you more accurate
information.

Franz