Re: Documentation of training for ancillary personnel

MRBROWN @ Bechtel.com wrote:

> ... as an someone who has
> set both sides of the fence (regulator and licensee) - the ancillary
> personnel are usually part of the group of training records they
> want to see...and if you can provide training rosters and a test,
> the auditors go away happy...

Can anyone cite anywhere in 10 CFR 19 the requirement for training
records?  Read 10 CFR 19.12 carefully.  There are none.  Nor are
there any requirements in parts 20, 30, or 33.  BTW, the word
"training" never appears in this paragraph.

The NRC recently rewrote the requirements in 10 CFR 19.12  for
instructions to workers and they did NOT include a recordkeeping
requirement.  Further, the NRC is not reticent in their regulations
about requiring records for various radiation safety activities,
including surveys, radiation safety committee meetings, dosimetry,
etc.  Therefore, one can logically conclude that even recently, the
Commissioners felt that keeping records of instructions to radiation
workers was not necessary for the protection of workers from
radiation, or (for the cynics out there) they felt it would not pass
OMB review.

This is not to say that records of instructions are not an important
part of any radiation protection program.  Rather that  the records
should satisfy YOUR needs.  If YOU feel that it is important to
ensure comprehension because of the potential consequences of a
failure to comprehend and comply with your instructions are worth
the cost of administering an examination, then you should test the
workers.  If YOU feel it is necessary to ensure that everyone
attended, then a sign-in sheet is adequate.  (I don't hold much faith
is signed statements that one understands the material presented.)

A caveat:  If you are in an agreement state, work for a DOE regulated
organization, have agreed to training records as a part of your
license agreement, or are an NRC part 35 licensee, then one must
follow any appropriate requirements.
--
Kent N. Lambert, M.S., CHP
mailto:lambert@allegheny.edu