Re: Worker Deficiency in Res -Reply

You are all correct!  You will see cases where worker efficiency will be
reduced by the wearing of respiratory protection.  You will also see cases
where the workers are able to work faster with a higher comfort level.
Contaminated paint removal is one such case.  Fairly high levels of
contaminates as well as lead concerns can be approached by the use of 'air fed'
PAPR units,  and appropriate ventilation.  This does away with the concerns
that the workers have as far as having to work very carefully so as not to stir
up any airborne.  In high radiation areas the dose savings can be considerable.
Of course all facets of the individual task and the impact to the worker must
be considered on a case by case basis.  I have been unable to find a cut and
dried formula for all cases that we will encounter in the field, however I will
look into this and get back to you.

Ron Shepherd  Radiation Safety Coordinator  Millstone Station