Re: Estimate DAC [Resuspension factor]

Duane --

The literature is replete with information regarding resuspension factors,
which range over 12 or more orders of magnitude depending on conditions.
Allen Brodsky, in a note in Health Physics (39:992, 1980) proposed 10E-6
some years back, a value which I think is sound for general work.  You are
also referred to the excellent review by Healy in Wayne Hanson's
"Transuranic Elements in the Environment", DOE/TIC-22800, pp. 209-235, and
to my own book, "Radioactivity in the Environment", which has a brief
discussion on pp. 239-240.

Ron Kathren

 >On 6/11/97, Paul Ruhter wrote to RADSAFE about resuspension factors
>measurements that had been performed at the TMI-2 facility in the recovery
work for
>that facility.
>
>I am currently involved, with others at the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
(NRC), in
>work which could benefit greatly from access to data of the type that Paul
described.

>As many of you know, the NRC is in the process of developing a rule on
radiological
>criteria for decommissioning of licensed facilities. In support of the
rule, the NRC is
>developing screening-level dose assessment models, which will be used to show
>compliance with the dose criteria of the decommissioning rule. A few
scenarios are
>considered in these models, but the resuspension data may have applicability to
>dose estimates for contaminated buildings and surfaces.
>
>For contamination remaining on surfaces, the model uses the resuspension factor
>approach for estimating air concentrations from surface concentrations (the
>resuspension factor is concentration in air [Bq/m^3 or similar] per surface
>concentration [Bq/m^2 or similar], so the units are per meter, or similar).
In searching