Year 2000 Issue

Dear Otto,                                              June 13, 1997

        If we assume from your note that the day is slowing up by 0.530
secs per century, I estimate that our ancestors a million years ago had a
day shorter than ours by 5,300 secs, or 1.47 hours, that is, 22.53 hours.

        The burning question is, what was the length of the day say 50
million years ago, still just a blink in geologic time, at a time when the
mammals were starting to proliferate? Or 100 million years ago during the
age of the dinasours. Seems that there wouldn't be time to get a good
night's sleep.

        Probably some geologic colleague already knows the answer to this
and can enlighten us.

                                Mike Quastel MD PhD
                                Head, Inst of Nuclear Medicine
                                Soroka Medical Center