RE: Rad Therapy Accidents

Here's the question which was cross posted from MEDPHYS:

>> planning on giving an informal 1 hour talk to our staff (clinical and
>> clerical) on radiation accidents.
>
>I too have been asked to give a talk to a group of technologists which
>includes radiotherapy, nuclear medicine and diagnostic workers.
>Accidents seems like a theme which might be common to all.  Any
>references you have would be a great help to me.

A source of information on rad therapy accidents in the U.S. is the
NUREG-0090, "Report to Congress on Abnormal Occurrences," series. Until
1995 these reports were issued quarterly and contained summaries of
significant medical misadministrations, radiography incidents, nuclear
power plant incidents (a very rare occurrence) and events involving
other NRC licensees. Since the report was usually short, the NRC is now
publishing it annually. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a Web source
for NUREGs.

The information (at least for medical misadministrations) is also
published in the Federal Register. This is easier to find on the Web
but, of course, will involve a bit more time to find the info you want.
The site below let's you search the more recent Registers. I checked
"Notices" and searched for "misadministration" and found some data.

<<File: 1995, 1996 and 1997 Federal Register.url>>

 http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/aces/aces140.html

Hope this is helpful.

Ben Morgan, CHP
ben.morgan@cplc.com