Decay in storage for mixed waste -Reply

James,

The bottom-line is the lower limit of detectability (LLD) of an instrument
you use to verify "no radiation above background" compared with the
same at whatever disposal facility you ship the material to as RCRA
hazardous, non-radioactive waste.  We would mix the solution and count
a representative sample in a liquid scintillation counter.  Of course, the
counter's efficiency for the isotope is crucial. For P-32 we can get close
to 100%.  The underlying assumption is that the disposal facility has a
detector less sensitive than the LSC we used.

Bill Stephany
Assistant RSO, Medical College of Georgia