Re: I-131 question

Kellyv@aol.com wrote:

> We are currently renovating the nuclear medicine department.  The question
> concerning the necessity of the fume hood has surfaced.  Is it necessary to
> open I-131 CAPSULES under the hood?

Amersham Int suggest that you should because of xenon-131m, which the
iodine decays to being released into the packaging. However I'm not sure
how many people bother about this. As far as the leakage of volatile
I-131 is concerned this will be absorbed into a filter in the container,
and therefore there should be no leakage of I-131 vapour.

I suggest you keep the fumehood, all good labs should have one (useful
for temporary storage of volatile waste etc.) but I wouldn't worry to
much about opening the capsule packaging in the hood. Remember that the
incorporated filters can contain several uCi of I-131, and therefore be
treated as radioactive waste.

Regards, Andy H
a.hancock@cxwms.ac.uk