Re: I-131 question

Kellyv@aol.com wrote:

> We are currently renovating the nuclear medicine department.  The question
> concerning the necessity of the fume hood has surfaced.  Is it necessary to
> open I-131 CAPSULES under the hood?  (Small department; the hood is no longer
> needed for anything else.)  Someone claims to have read that I-131 capsules
> should be opened under the hood. Please let me know if you have any
> information on this.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kelly Vaughn
> kellyv@aol.comDear Kelly,
We use a lot of 131-I at our facility. It is common practice to ensure
that 131-I materials (capsules, liquid, etc) should be opened under a
negative pressure hood. "Why?" you may ask. 131-I is volatile. Even
though it may be in capsule form, it is still volatile, and can escape
int to the air. To be safe, you probably should open them under a hood.
Bob Dunn