Compasses

Dear RADSAFERs -
As the post RPO shop, we are always receiving obsolete or
unrepairable military items containing radioactive
materials for disposal.  Along with some Lensatic compasses,
someone here recently gave me a bag of Silva Type 3 compasses
for disposal because they believe that there is  radioactive material
in the Silva glow-in-the-dark dial.

Unlike the military Lensatic compasses, which are clearly
marked as containing rad material, these have nothing to
indicate that they contain any radioactive material.  Does anyone
know if Silva ever marketed a compass with radioactive phosphor
dials?

Replies to me at the address below.
Thanx in advance
John Aperans
Health Physics Office, US Army Chemical School
Ft McClellan, AL
aperansj@mcclellan-cmls.army.mil
Voice (205) 848-5044    FAX (205) 848-4615
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are solely those of the author (me).
The Department of the Army and DoD have no knowledge of this message,
and would not approve it if they did.

COFFEE.COM not found.  Insert cup and press any key . . .