DOE Soil Contamination

Dear Radsafers:

This question is mainly aimed at DOE, but any input will be helpful.
Please respond to my E-mail address, below.  This is basically a survey.
Current DOE guidance on the posting, control, and management of Soil
Contamination Areas is pretty vague.  How does your site handle the
following?

1. How do you define radioactive contamination that is in a soil matrix?

2. When does Appendix D of 10 CFR 835 apply to radioactive contamination
that is in a soil matrix?

3. What is the criterion for upgrading of posting from Soil Contamination
Areas to Contamination Areas and onto High Contamination Areas (i.e., how
does your site define and measure transferability)?

4. Do you have published criteria (i.e., radiological controls) for soil
excavation work?

Thanks

As always, these are solely my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of my employer.

Pete Darnell
Health Physicist
US DOE - Fernald