Subject: Re: I-131 question
Author:  JMUCKERHEIDE@delphi.com at -MailLink
Date:    6/20/97 01:01

Bib Dunn wrote:

> Kellyv@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > We are currently renovating the nuclear medicine department.  The question
> > concerning the necessity of the fume hood has surfaced.  Is it necessary to
> > open I-131 CAPSULES under the hood?  (Small department; the hood is no
longer

> > needed for anything else.)  Someone claims to have read that I-131 capsules
> > should be opened under the hood. Please let me know if you have any
> > information on this.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > Kelly Vaughn
> > kellyv@aol.com

> Dear Kelly,
> We use a lot of 131-I at our facility. It is common practice to ensure
> that 131-I materials (capsules, liquid, etc) should be opened under a
> negative pressure hood. "Why?" you may ask. 131-I is volatile. Even
> though it may be in capsule form, it is still volatile, and can escape
> int to the air. To be safe, you probably should open them under a hood.
> Bob Dunn

What fraction I-131 is assumed to volatilize? 10-6? 10-4? You are feeding
I-131 to individuals. What studies show adverse effects to otherwise healthy
patients from I-131? Thyroid? Leukemia? other? Now, what would be the "risk"
if you opened all capsules in the room? in someone's mouth? Now, what other
more costly, wasteful, burdens, and negative images of public risk, can be
placed on the activities of nuclear medicine to drive it out of use?

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com