Re[2]: I-131 question

>      Isn't the concern directed at keeping the exposure of the technologist
>      to a minimum?  The technologist(s) will handle all of the I-131 doses
>      in preparing the materials for administration to the patient.  If the
>      nuclear medicine department does several of these procedures on a
>      routine basis it is reasonable to take some actions (ALARA) to address
>      the potential exposure of the techs.  Having been a nuc med tech in a
>      previous life and having been involved in a large number of these
>      procedures using liquid as well as caps, I certainly appreciated the
>      availability of a hood in which to prep the patient doses.
>
>      Respectfully
>
>      Danny L Rice
>      danny_l_rice@ccmail.rl.gov

I agree. That is the "concern". As I noted below, it may not be rational. If
10-4 volatilizes and 10-2 is inhaled ingested, the technologist would open 1
million vials/capsules to get one patient dose. (Now if patient doses show no
adverse effects over 30 years followup...)

Don't blame the media for "radiophobia" when we do this ourselves.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com

<snip>