Re: PI with I-131 Treatment and Immediate Return to Work

It would depend on what "hats" you wear.  Some University's give
the Radiation Safety Office/Radiation Safety Committee (RSC) broad
powers and some do not.  If your office (or committee) has
jurisdiction over "radiation", as opposed to "regulated radiation",
any necessary measures may be taken within that purview.  However,
that would be based on the authority granted by the University, not
due to requirements of the regulatory agency.

I'd suggest you research your authority over such issues.  If you
have an RSC, you should discuss it with the Chair (who would probably
have the actual authority to require any actions).

Wes

> Date sent:      Fri, 20 Jun 97 12:17:28 -0500
> Send reply to:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
> From:           Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Subject:        PI with I-131 Treatment and Immediate Return to Work

> ....No other coorporation
> from the PI is expected. The PI simply stated to me that the medical
> professions cleared me and I don't have any restrictions other than what
> they instructed me.
>
> Obviously, there are good potential for contamination and an avoidable
> radiation levels exist. The RS manual is silent about case like this. I
> spoke to the dept. chair about the case. He wished he didn't hear about.
>
> What shall I do in this case? I would not want to sit by someone who has
> measurable amount of radiation level. I will appreciate any suggestions.

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us