NORM/NARM/SOURCE MATERIAL

Dear RADSAFERS:

Thanks to all those who took time to respond.
It is interesting to note that some states are already regulating/or
planning to regulate this material.
There were varied responses with regard to procedures.  Some
Universities use the same procedures as for NRC licensed materials, others
treat them as generally licensed materials.

I stand corrected on one point.
David Scherer wrote:
> I would point out that these are technically _not_ NARM; they are source
> material.  Up to 15 pounds can be used at one time (150 pounds per year)
> under the general license in 10 CFR 40.22.  You should look over the terms
> and conditions of that general license.

 You are correct, David. Thanks.

I was using the term NARM to include naturally occurring uranium and
thorium.
I just looked up the definition in our state regs and it says:

NARM - means any naturally occurring or accelerator-produced material. It
does NOT(caps, mine) include byproduct, source or special nuclear
material..

The definition for source material according to 10CFR 20.1003 is:

Source Material- means
(1) Uranium or thorium or any combinaion of uranium and thorium in any
physical or chemical form: or
(2) ores that contain......uranium and thorium .... etc.
Source Material does not include special nuclear material.

I did not find a defintion for NORM anywhere. Is that a term we made up
along the way?

Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Ninni Jacob
Radiation Safety Officer