Re: NARM Use/Storage at Universities

>I would like to know what the policy is at your institution for Naturally
>Occurring Material? Specifically, uranium and thorium compounds,
>namely, uranyl acetate , thorium nitrate, etc.

I would point out that these are technically _not_ NARM; they are source
material.  Up to 15 pounds can be used at one time (150 pounds per year)
under the general license in 10 CFR 40.22.  You should look over the terms
and conditions of that general license.

We handle them as we do any other generally licensed source.  We do not
provide specific procedures.  The used samples are typically disposed of as
aqueous waste (sanitary sewer).  Unused U & Th reagents are collected by
the RSO (when we find them).  Presently, we are simply holding them.  You
might look into recycling the unused reagents rather than disposal.

I believe most chemical waste firms refuse to take them because they are
source material and therefore mixed waste.  There was some discussion about
this on radsafe about a year ago.  You might want to check the radsafe
archives.

Regards,
Dave Scherer
scherer@uiuc.edu