NARM Use/Storage at Universities -Reply

In reponse to Uranium and Thorium compounds question:

1.  We (MCG Radiation Safety Office) collect this material as
waste and store it prior to shipment.  Sometimes it is collected
by Chemical Safety and transferred to us.

2.  Yes, brief guidelines.

3.  No answer on that one!

4.  We ship to Barnwell (they do accept foreign waste now) -
compounds such as acetates and oxides may be packed in their
original containers into 5 or 8 gallon drums.  Nitrates, however,
must be solidified at the time of the pick up to remove the
oxidizing constituency of the compound.  In a small drum, we
solidify the compound and any contaminated glassware in
concrete.  Check with Chem-Nuclear @ Barnwell to be sure!

cmckinne@mail.mcg.edu
Christina H. McKinney
Medical College of Georgia
Radiation Safety Office
Augusta, GA  30904
My employers take no responsibility, blah, blah..