Re: PI with I-131 Treatment and Immediate Return to Work

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Ron Amoling wrote:

> I think that as long as the PI doesn't sleep with anyone on the job,
> nor care for children, she should be able to do her job with no other
> restrictions.  If this individual worked at a facility that didn't
> have contamination monitoring equipment, she would have resumed work
> without any fanfare.
>
> If she was released from the hospital in accordance with applicable
> government safety regulations, then why should she be treated
> differently when she comes to work?  According to these release
> criteria, she should be able to use the same bathroom, cafeteria,
> etc., as anyone else who works at your facility, without regard to
> the residual radiaoctivity.
>
> Ron Amoling
> RSO, Joslin Diabetes Center
> amolingr@joslab.harvard.edu
>
> PS - Hi Jo......long time no see!

I understand the many views pointed to me through Rad-Safe and directly to
me personally. My point is that the PI's activity has an impact
to our
licensed activity. For example, two toilets were found contaminated in
two seperate buildings. A pregnant PI did not see the posting and used the
contaminated toilet. She is very upset. Even though she was advised of
this situation, it happened anyway. Now I have a situation which requires
my
prompt attention. Now, I have to stop what I am doing. and find someone to
take care of this situation or do them myself. People who work around the
PI call and ask me to do something about it. It seems like there isn't
anything I could do. We stress the ALARA in this campus and this no
action seems not in agreement with this policy.

Do I tell them that radiation from medical treatment is ok and not to
worry?

Do I keep cleaning contaminated toilets and let the PI do
whatever she wants to do because the hospital cleared her?

Shall I ignore the issue and not check for contamination at all? If so,
can someone accuse me for not doing my job?

These are some of my thoughts. I would like to be prepared for the next
time. Please respond to me directly or post them.  Many responses I have
received are very much appreciated. Thank you for those who provided me
with excellent comments. Have a good weekend. M. Jo

This is only my opinion...
Myung Chul Jo <mjo@scs.unr.edu>
University of Nevada, Reno
Health Physics/ MS 328