Re: EMF Shielding

> What is the best material for shielding EMF radiation?

Depends what you want to shield (static vs ELF vs RF/MW).

Computer jitter is usually an ELF problem, because static fields cause
distortions rather than cause jitters

> from the information I've been able to gather, it's some sort of
> mysterious alloy.

Probably a reference to "mu" or "Muntz" metal which is a nickel-iron-copper
alloy.  This is the best ELF and static shield, but is very expensive.

> The problem we're having is a jittery computer monitor due to its
> close proximity to our electric service entering the building adjacent
> to where this monitor is being used.  Moving the monitor away from
> the source diminishes the screen jitters, but not completely.
>
> A company called Field Management Services sells a "Jitterbug"... it costs
around $700.00.

> Just wondering if a piece of metal of some sort would solve our
> problem for cheaper.

Try a sheet or hoop of iron before you spend the $700.

You might also try switching monitors, some seem to be more resistant to
external ELF fields than others.  In particular some of the "low emission"
monitors may have better shielding.  A monitor with a metal case may also do
better (if you can still find one).

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)
Maintainer:  Powerlines & Cancer FAQs,
             Static EM Fields and Cancer FAQs
             Cell Phone Antennas & Health FAQ
USENET: sci.med.physics, sci.answers, news.answers.
http://www.mcw.edu/gcrc/cop.html/