Subject: FW: Russian Criticality Accident
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet/Unix
Date:    6/24/97 6:16 PM

Maybe this has already been posted, but in case:
Trisha Edgerton, pedgerto@rhb.dhs.cahwnet.gov

     [This article obviously predates news of Zakharov's death.
     From: RIA-Novosti. HotLine.
     entered from URL
     http://www.ria-novosti.com/products/hotline/1997/06/17.htm]

     ACCIDENT AT NUCLEAR CENTRE

       This has not happened in the closed city of Sarov or
              Arzamas-16 for more than thirty years

                    N. POPOVA, V. BUKHALKIN

          In the underground bunker of the All-Russia
     Experimental Physics Research Institute there has been
     a serious violation of the work procedure on the unit
     where incomplete nuclear reactions are tried
     out....For some unknown reason, Zakharov was not even
     wearing any protective gear, so the neutron flow
     which hit him sort of burned him through....