Re[2]: Russian Criticality accident

>Boyd Rose has made the comment that the report of the accident contains
>some interesting statements....Such a statement must have come from a
>scientific source and it concerns me that such errors are being made....
> * David J. Hornsey, Radiation Safety.*

Allowing for "filtering" between the alleged original "scientific source"
(i.e. safety and/or medical staff) and subsequent sources (i.e. information
officers, Russian news agencies, AP, UPI, etc.) and the short duration
between the actual events and the reporting of the events, the errors in
the non-scientific / non-technical articles on this event are not
surprizing.

It is unfortunate that the public will digest the initial exciting and
incorrect reports and subsequently not bother with the later, uninteresting
reports of the more accurate details.  I haven't had to answer any
questions today regarding this accident (or any other events related or not
as a result of this accident) today which probably means that noone at my
worksite has read about it yet.  It is always a pleasure (NOT!) to have to
explain events that were not caused or related to your organizations
radiological activities, especially when you have no idea of the real
details.

Boyd H. Rose, CM
Radiation Protection Officer
General Dynamics Land Systems Division
roseb@gdls.com

The opinions expresses above are solely my own and do not under any
circumstance reflect those of my employer.