Re: Soc. Sec. # on Official Records

It is illegal to require submission of a SSN for tracking unless you are an
organization that reports to the IRS and possibly for medical records, as
someone else mentioned.

It is my belief that a site-assigned employee number is a much better way to
do business without compromising the SSN's integrity.  A site-assigned
number provides the same benefits of employee identification and even more
because people are not as cautious and do not maintain the same reservations
as so with a SSN.

At 01:00 PM 6/27/97 -0500, you wrote:
>RadSafers:
>
>It has been our normal practice to include workers' social security numbers
>on each of their official records such as training records...
>
>Lately, more and more people are questioning the need for such inclusion, I
>guess, by fear of misuse (read fraudulent use).  Some people asked why
>can't we use some other  ID number, such as Driver's License #...
>
>If any of you have run into the same situation, I would be grateful if you
>could share your experience and how you handled it.  Do you include SS# on
>every piece of record or just once for each personnel file?
>
>Is there a regulatory requirement to include SS# on training records? I
>remember seeing it but could not locate any. Any reference help here would
>also be appreciated.
>
>Quang Le
>"qmle@icnpharm.com"

Jeff Eichorst
Occurrence Investigator
Los Alamos National Laboratory
ESH-7, MS K999, Los Alamos, NM 87545
505.665-6980		505.665-6977 fax
505.996-1117 digital pager,	jeichorst@lanl.gov

A person of integrity expect to be believed; and when he is not, he lets
time prove him right.