Re: Radioactive patients

Michael--

Depending on the dose rate the non-nuc-med patients are receiving when they
sit near the Tc-99m patients, there may indeed be a regulatory problem.  Even
if there is no legal problem, it certainly goes against ALARA to expose other
patients if there is a simple and reasonable way to avoid it.

I recall an instance here when I accidentally stopped one click short of
turning my meter off after surveying some ductwork for the maintenance folks,
then walked through the waiting room outside the nuc med outpatient area.  The
meter suddenly started screaming as I walked past an elderly woman sitting
alone in a corner of the area.  I was new in the neighborhood at the time, so
it shocked me for a minute.  First thought was that someone had dropped a seed
or spilled something on the carpet, but then I realized that the woman could
have been recently dosed.  I introduced myself and apologized for prying, then
asked if she was a nuc med patient.  She said that she had received an
injection for some procedure or other and was told that she should wait a
short while for the label to properly distribute before they continued.  She
seemed well-informed, so I explained my reasons for asking and briefly
demonstrated (with the sound off!) the meter response that drew my attention.
She said that she asked the staff about being in the waiting room and was told
that she wouldn't be there long enough to be a danger to anyone else, then
offered to move somewhere else.  I assured her that she was fine where she
was, and showed her that the meter response decreased rapidly with
distance and even dropped off to background when the probe face was not
pointed directly at her.  A quick sweep of the floor confirmed that she was
the only source of emissions, and we parted company.

In this case, at least, a well-informed and conscientious patient ended up
posing no danger to anyone.  We can hope that all cases work out this well...