> Von: Michelle_D_Doty@RL.gov
> An: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
> Betreff: Question - High Volume Air Samplers
> Datum: Dienstag, 08. Juli 1997 21:54
>
>      Hello Radsafers,
>
>      Does anyone know of or have any experience with very high volume air

>      samplers which allow the use of 47-mm air samples (2-in. diameter
>      filter head)?  I am not interested in using 4-in. filter heads.
>
>      If so, please respond directly to me.  Vendor names and phone
numbers
>      would be most helpful.
>
>      Thanks!
>
>      Michelle Doty
>      mailto:Michelle_D_Doty@ccmail.rl.gov
>      509/373-6788

Michelle,

You did not specify, what you call a "very high volume sampler" - you
should specify this in m3/h or any other unit. The area of the filter used
might have to be a compromise between the volume throughput and the time
you want to sample."High" throughput might clog the filter within short
time if it is to small.

In Austria we use in our surveillance system for aerosol radioactivity
"pumps" with a throughput of between 60 to 100 m3/h and either two or four
glass fibre filters with a surface of 30 x 40 cm. (We have two systems.)
These filters are usually changed once a week, during winter time, when the
air is full of carbon from traditional fuelling of stoves they are changed
twice a week. The filters are checked by gamma spectrometry both shortly
after the end of the pumping period and after decay of most of the natural
radionuclides present in air. Air throughput is measured.

Hope this helps, for more information you may of course contact me!

Best regards,

Franz