HPS Lab Accreditation

 *** this is sort of an info-mercial.
Do not read further if you object to this!

A short time ago Dan Strom asked "What does NIST
traceability mean to you?"
There were no RADSAFE responses.
Either this means that everyone knows all about it, or that
no one cares, or that everyone is busy with more important
issues.  So here is another try.

I cannot speak to NIST's position on this question since I do not occupy a
position with the authority to do so.  However,
rumor has it that 'traceability' is a term not defined and unrecognized
within NIST.  Those who wish to demonstrate a relationship to national
standards participate in a program designed to achieve that, e.g., NVLAP.

Now the commercial.
Many of you may not realize that the HPS conducts a program similar to
NVLAP for labs that perform radiation field calibrations, e.g., survey
instrument calibrations.  The Lab Accreditation Program currently has two
accrediated lab, Eberline and K&S Associates.  No others. Several federal
labs maintain similar accreditation through NVLAP.

So how are the rest of the folks demonstrating 'traceability'? Some might
have 'calibrated' sources or 'calibrated' chambers, but the only
programmatic methods are the HPS and NVLAP programs.

The HPS and NVLAP programs (don't bug me- I know P=program but NVLA
program looks ridiculous) have rather stringent requirements for secondary
level accreditation which many routine cal labs cannot meet. BUT, HPS also
supports a tertiary accreditation which is appropriate for those labs.

So again, the question as posed by Dan (sort of) is, how are you showing
traceability?  Perhaps you should contact the HPS to find out how to do
this officially.

The HPS program has been in existence for 5-6 years but there seems  to be
a real lack of awareness of it.  Hence this one-time message.

P.S.  I must acknowledge a certain self-interest in this topic since I am
the current chairman of the HPS Lab Accr. Policy Committee.  That means if
the program does not survive I will be out of a job (and would have more
time for golf) but if it does the assessment committee chaired by Bill
Casson will have more work.

--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future