Re: AP LLRW Story

Hi David,

1. No time, but Gov Riley (D-SC) was appointed to head Carter's "State
Planning Council o Radioactive Waste Mgmt" following the DOE John Deutch-led
"Interagency Review Group on RWM". His mission tended to ignore HLW and focus
on his own backyard, Barnwell. He initiated the philosophy of "each state
should be responsible for its own". I forget the precise number, but there
were about 8 Governors plus reps from State leg's, localities, indian tribes.
They bought it and sold it through a couple of years of meetings and taking
the proposals to the Congress. Everybody thought state-types would know what
could be done better at state/local levels than by the (then and now)
massively discredited DOE. I failed then too (not just in supporting costly
wasteful controls for LLR that have killed nuclear technologies. I supported
the legislation in my work with the SPC, and with our industry and state
review process.

So note: Congress got this proposal from the states, and to some extent
against its better judgement! Also, in the '80 elections, and when Reagan came
in '81 (before this was passed) the era of "the new Federalism" (Murry
Weidenbaum from Hoover and all) took a large pass in many areas of government
at "allowing" the states to assume Federal programs that could better be done
by the states and industries. (I also had no idea that industry would
gleefully sit back and laugh at the state people who were pathetic, who now
had suddenly gotten some "responsibility" that they had no capacity to
undertake instead of harrassing utilities and industries from the sidelines,
instead of working with them to solve the problem with the local publics.)

I also had no idea that states would find junior flunkies to run these
programs way down in nowhere since it was not really a problem on the Gov's
agenda nor something that could be "managed" in political terms and they had
no clue how to deal with technical issues, neither structural, managerial, or
scientific. So they flubbed around for years, OR took "instant actions" -
because the industry "wisdom" was that it only needed "political will" to be
solved, like they kept saying about HLW (and WIPP ha!). "Instant actions" only
got their heads handed to them. Anybody remember the late 80's in NY? and that
was the lame best of the lot.

2. At the time there was "enough LLW" (nobody anticipated so many compacts due
entirely to management and political incompetence of states - they didn't know
how to "negotiate" among themselves, so they could only get a few states to
agree to anything with the programs undully loaded with unnecessary baggage -
there are no State Dept and UN negotiators in states). BUT, only NOW with the
failure of 15 years and massive escalation of costs (disposal was something
like $25/ft3?) do we have the results of generators incentives to waste
massive funds in reducing volumes to trade off against giving to disposal
fees. ALSO, nobody but robbers and brigands would have ever thought a site
would be so incompetently designed to cost/price at todays concepts.

The good thing about spending $400 million is that nobody is dumb enough to
build one of these monstrosities.

Finally, people who note that "$$ for disposal went up a factor of 20, but
volume went down a factor of 20, so it's a wash, fail to consider the massive
cost that has been invested to reduce volume a factor of 20 (including
terminating use of nuclear technologies, the ultimate criminality).

Thanks, David. Nice to "see" you again :-)

Regards, Jim
==
Jim Muckerheide
jmuckerheide@delphi.com