RE: Safety Culture

Jeff Eichorts said:

>  The corporate structure MUST include provisions to hold people
>  accountable for their

Admiral Rickover stated,  and rightly so,  (and I had it on a plaque
which is still sitting in FL),  that someone must always be
responsible, and accountable. You can't run from it, it is always
there. One can NOT delegate away accountability... Without
accountability, there will only be chaos.

Workers must not live in a punitive environment. I worked in such an
environment. What that does is foster low morale, employees who shred
loyalty to the organization, and more importantly, will cover-up
problems when they occur. When that happens, the problems will not be
fixed, and a disaster is waiting to happen. This is not to say that
willful violation or protocols, or, when an incident causes serious
harm, that there shouldn't be disciplinary actions taken, to include
termination if necessary. We all must be held accountable. It is
management's "accountability" to ensure that the process is managed
in a fair and equitable manner.

Excellent point, Jeff.

------------------
Sandy Perle