Re: Safety Culture

    This discussion of safety culture is very interesting, and hits close to

    home.  However, I would like to play "devil's advocate" and suggest an
    alternative thought.

    When one looks at many events that have occurred, including some very
recent
    prime examples, it appears to me that the basic cause was not
indifference
    to, or non-recognition of the hazard, nor was there inadequate training.

    What was present was a complacency that seems to stem from a level of
    comfort with the hazard arising from extensive knowledge, training, and
    experience.  Perhaps the old phrase "familiarity breeds contempt" should
be
    reworded, "familiarity breeds complacency".

    Why does a worker violate a procedure rather than stop work when he/she
    perceives a problem?  Often the answer is that the worker thought that
    he/she knew the work better than the procedure writer, and either had no

    confidence in the procedure or believed that his/her way was better.

    Why do we all often have discussions about how unnecessary, unwieldy,
    ultraconservative, ... etc, our system of regulations is.  Is it because
we
    all think we know the risk better than the developers of the regulations?

    While the discussion of the basis of our regulations is very important,
it
    must be done in a structured, professional manner that does not feed
    people's complacency with the current regulations.

    Consider the signs on the side of the road:  "Buckle up ... it's the law!
"
    Have we trained ourselves so extensively on the requirements that we can

    quote them line by line, but have forgotten WHY those requirements are
in
    place?  I buckle up because I have seen what can happen when one does
not,
    rather than because its the law - I understand WHY its a law, and am
    therefore willing to comply.

    As you can tell, this subject fascinates me right now, because these are

    questions that I am asking myself every day.  I encourage all of us to
go
    back and look at the WHY we do things, as well as the HOW we do things.

    Enough of my Friday night meanderings, its time to go home.  I look
forward
    to your comments.

    Doug Minnema, CHP
    Defense Programs
    Dept. of Energy
    <Douglas.Minnema@dp.doe.gov>

    what few thoughts I have are truly my own.