Re: Pu released at Hanford

I haven't heard yet if they've quantified it, but there is some confusion
(nothing new there). The rad surveys that show the presence of
contamination could also be the result of past contamination incidents;
not necessarily this one. The release they are talking about was through
the water. When the explosion occurred, fixed plutonium contamination was
knocked loose. A water line was also ruptured. The plutonium detected
may, therefore, have flowed along with the water outside the building.

All the info is not yet in, however. As I write this, they are searching
records for a possible airborne problem, that wasn't divulged before (if
its true). At one time, I promised a report to those interested, but
everytime I get ready to finalize it , something new comes out, making me
a little leery. I can conclusively state that the public was not
affected. That's the important thing.

Quantification of contamination incidents at Hanford is not always easy,
because the site is such a mess. Pre existing contamination (documented
and undocumented) is over much of the central plateau, making it
difficult. There are many records of past incidents (fires, waste tank
pressurizations, and a variety of other incidents), with few records of
clean-up. In the old days, their method of dealing with contamination was
to cover it with clean dirt, or just post it as a rad area.

Allen W. Conklin
Head, Air Emissions & Defense Waste
Division of Radiation Protection
Department of Health