Re: cancer in Japan

Wim Passchier wrote:

> My reaction to the message:
>
> > Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:32:56 -0700
> From: "H.Wade Patterson" <hwade@triax.com>
> Subject: cancer incidence in Japan
> (...)
> If one compares Hiroshima- Nagasaki to All Japan, ones finds fewer
> cancer deaths in Hiroshima-Nagasaki than in All Japan.
> (...)
>
> is: "so what?"
>
> It really does not help to put the risk of exposure to low level radiation
> into perspective, going around and asking questions like this.
>
> Wim Passchier
> Dep. Executive Director, Health Council of the Netherlands
> PO Box 1236, NL 2280 CE RIJSWIJK
> tel +31 70 340 6262, fax +31 70 340 7523
> e-mail wf.passchier@gr.nl
> private: Severij 1, NL 3155 BR MAASLAND
> tel +31 10 599 0247
> e-mail wfpas@worldaccess.nl

Wim:

I'd be grateful for a citation which does "put the risk of exposure to
low level radiation into perspective."

Before you send anything from UNSCEAR, BEIR, ICRP, or NCRP (UBIN) please
read my paper in the March issue of Health Physics. In it I show that:

"Present radiation protection standards are based to a large extent on
data that has been forced to conform with the linear nonthreshold (LNT)
model. A review of the literature shows that there are examples of both
data and theory that disagree with such a model. Established standard
setting bodies (UBIN) seem not to have recognized this disagreement;
indeed, as will be shown, there are many studies that they have neither
cited, discussed, nor refuted. Additionally, examples of data adaptation
and circular reasoning are to be found in the standard-setting process.
Consequently, a new approach to the process is desirable.  Numerous
citations and quotations are given."

Best wishes,

--
Wade