More on Thorium Lenses (Source Material)

I may not have been specific enough in my last post about source material.

We sent a piece of glass found in a disposal yard to a lab for analysis.
It appears that it contains thorium.  The lab is looking for a "licensee"
to return it to.  We don't posess that type of license.

I believe the lab posesses this sample under "their license" and are now in
a "catch-22" situation.  They cannot return it to us for disposal since
their license only allows them to send it to another licensed entity.

This seems kind of strange.  Is the laboratory correct on this?
Tad  Blanchard            /__ \ /___\   NASA-Goddard Space Flight Center
Nat'l Health Svc, Inc          O         Code 205.9, Greenbelt, MD 20771
Sr Health Physics Tech        / \                    Phone: 301-286-9157
Assistant RSO                /___\                   Fax:   301-286-1618
                 mailto:Tad.M.Blanchard.1@GSFC.NASA.gov