Re: fallout and USA today

At 01:25 PM 7/25/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Anyone see the front page of USA today? It is an article on  Fallout
>
>the URL for it is
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/acovfri.htm
>
>here is the preview of the article:
>
>Study to measure effects of fallout on USA
>
>                 WASHINGTON - Forty years after the government's atomic
>bomb tests spewed radiation into the Nevada skies, a new
>federal study will pinpoint communties as far away as New York where
>people were exposed to potentially dangerous fallout. The
>still-unreleased study, by the National Cancer Institute, shows
>county-by-county exposure to iodine 131, the predominant radioactive
>isotope that rained down on  the USA in the 1950s. In essence, the NCI
>study is a first step in solving one of the most daunting medical
>mysteries of the nuclear age:  Did the radioactive fallout
>from the Nevada bomb tests cause an increase of cancer among people who
>were exposed?

> Bruce Busby  - bbusby@umich.edu
> http://www.sph.umich.edu/~bbusby/

A brief mention of a "new study" of fallout US from weapons tests made
during the 1950s was made on our local radio station, WQXR (New York City).
According to this report, fallout levels (nuclides unspecified) on some
places in the Eastern US were comparable to those  close to the Nevada test
site. SO. I suspect that the story was picked up from the AP or some other
newswire service.

Some of you, as I am, may be old enough to remember that one of Ernie
Sternglass's first presentations at a Health Physics Society Annual Meeting
(Pittsburgh 1968, I believe) linked infant mortality in the Troy NY locale and
an unusual deposition of fallout there in 1953, if I remember correctly.
Here we go again.

Andy Hull
BNL
Ph. 516-344-4210