Re: Nuclear Chicago Q Gas

"Q Gas" is, as I recall, a G-M detector fill or flow gas, being >98%
helium, the balance being an "organic" quenching agent, isobutane. Most
likely, the cylinder was to used to supply the Q gas to a windowless
flow type G-M detector, often employed in a radiochromatogram strip
scanner for C-14 and/or H-3 tagged compounds, circa 1960s.

Given its composition, I suggest that it's innocuous vis-a-vis any
release restrictions, and, most likely, the contents have leaked out by
now anyway-if it wasn't already emptied by a user.

Best regards,
Paul Tyree, RSO
CIS-US, Inc.
e-mail: Paul_Tyree@CIS-US.CCMAIL.CompuServe.COM