Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

-
James,

Thanks for this interesting contribution. Your question as to the
Trittbrettfahrer is a challenge even for me, whose mother tongue is
German....... These are my comments:

> The 18 July 1997 issue of the German weekly newspaper _die Zeit_ reports
> on a international meeting on Blood Formation and Treatment of Leukemia,
> held in Hamburg in the first week in July.
>
> _die Zeit_ reports that the epidemiologist Freda Alexander of the
> University of Edinburgh presented a paper at the meeting describing a
> study of leukemia "clusters", which analyzed 13551 cases of leukemia in
17
> European countries during the years 1980 to 1989.  It appeared that the
> clusters mostly occurred in regions of average population density that
> earlier had been rather isolated, but subsequently had significant in-
> migration due to the growth of big cities or the construction of large
> industrial facilities nearby.  The analysis of 240 clusters showed no
> relationship to environmental factors.  Only 4 of the clusters were near
> nuclear facilities.
>
> _die Zeit_ continues that this study tends to support the existing
> hypothesis that leukemia clusters are caused by some virus introduced
> into isolated communities by an influx of outsiders.  They also note the
> absence of an increase in leukemia in regions affected by the Chernobyl
> fallout, even regions with a significant increase in thyroid cancer.

This is an interesting hypothesis, though the virus causing leukemia may
not be acceptable.

> German anti-nuclear activists were not amused.  _die Zeit quotes a
> press release of the organization International Physicians for the
> Prevention of Nuclear War (quoting Bertold Brecht),

The famous Bertold Brecht was a person, who lived very well in the German
Democratic Republic. I suppose you have not been able to avoid seeing his
pictures with a big cigar in his mouth - hardly anybody except the top
ranking party members had ever a chance to smoke a cigar in the GDR. I do
not comment his contribution to literature - but it is well known, that he
had all the privileges of the upper communist class. Quoting him in the
context of radiation protection, leukemia etc. is therefore a nonsense,
which gives some hints as to the  opinion of the person quoting him.

Let us return to radiation protection and leukemia.

"Knowingly or
> unknowingly the participating scientists are allowing themselves to
> become the "Trittbrettfahrern" of the nuclear industry."
> "Trittbrettfahrern" outruns my knowledge of German and my dictionaries,
> for that matter.  "Trittbrett" means, among other things, the running
> board of a car; "Fahrer" is a driver.  My sense is that something
> similar to the formulation (popular with the Chinese) "running dogs" is
> intended.  Perhaps some German-speaking subscriber can provide a better
> translation.

"Trittbrettfahrer" is an unacceptable insult. "Trittbrett" are the steps on
a tram, which you have to climb to enter it. "Fahrer" is not only the
driver, but also in combination with other words "passenger" - so
"Tramfahrer" is a passenger on the tram - please note, that "tram" has
become the "German" word "Tram", pronounced the German way. A passenger on
the "Trittbrett" is somebody, who has not paid his fare, who takes
advantage of the fact that somebody else has unknowingly paid the costs for
his trip. Whenever a control approaches, the Trittbrettfahrer will jump off
the tram-trittbrett. In the context of the press release I would interpret
it, that scientists are accused of taking advantage of the nuclear
industry, their money and I would even go so far, to interpret it that the
scientists in question have been bribed by the nuclear industry.

Nothing to bother - such an insult is just a very weak one. Normally
persons not refusing nuclear energy (consider carefully my expression!) are
called murders and marked as persons, who want to delete mankind from this
planet.

_die Zeit_ was referring to the unhappy activists when they headlined
> their story "Wut statt Wissen" or "Anger instead of Science".
> Interestingly, although _die Zeit_ is a liberal newspaper by almost
> anyone's definition, they have been modestly supportive of nuclear power
> over the past few years.  _die Zeit_ ends its story by noting that
>
>     "The press release was signed by an anti-Kruemmel activist, which
>     makes the attack on the meeting understandable, but not acceptable.
>     The IPPNW characterizes itself as an organization of 'physicians for
>     social responsibility'.  That attacks 'below the belt' could be
>     considered to be social responsibility was the most disconcerting
>     revelation of the meeting."

I am really surprised - positively - that there is a newspaper in Europe,
which dares to give such a comment!!!!!!!

Franz

Whatever I write and sign with my name is by definition my opinion and need
not be approved by anybody, nor can it be disapproved.