Re: RE: N-16 equilibrium in coolant ???

Ben inspired me to check the Fermi 2 FSAR.  There's no indication that this is
proprietary data, so I can post this.  We are a BWR, so there is N-16 in both
the steam and the reactor water.  The values given for N-16 are:

steam:  100 uCi/g

reactor water:  62 uCi/g

These are described as follows:  "The coolant activation products are not
adequately correlated by simple equations.  Design-basis concentrations in
reactor water and steam have been estimated conservatively from experience
data..."  Keep in mind that these are for purposes of a safety analysis.  They
are thus likely to be upper bounds of the expected values.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

James,

Regarding your question about N-16 in power reactor coolant. There is a
table (Table 11.1.4-1) in our Safety Analysis Report which gives values
of N-16 at various points in the coolant loop. Unfortunately this
information comes from a proprietary Westinghouse document and so I
can't list it here. Other reactors would have a similar table and if you
have access to one of these safety reports you can look it up.

Also, pages 520 - 524 of the 2nd edition of Lamarsh's "Introduction to
Nuclear Engineering" gives the formula for determining this number and,
for a reactor with a power density of 55 watts/cm^3 in which the coolant
is in the reactor for three seconds and outside the reactor for two
seconds, the N-16 equilibrium activity is 249 uCi/cm^3.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Ben