confocal laser scanning microscopes

Has anyone inspected these types of devices.  I looked at one for the
first time today.  It is not a totally enclosed system, there are several
areas where the laser beam is visible.  The user was unaware of laser
hazards.  The training received from the manufacturer did not stress the
use of safety goggles for the appropriate wavelength, in addition the
method of focusing the beam involves removing a cover where the beam
enters the system, tweaking the focus and noting when the beam brightens
indicating the beam is focused !!!  These are class IIIB and IV sources,
in the UV, Argon 488, HeNe (low power), ranging from 150 mW CW to 2 Watt
output for the Argon.

please email or telephone me if you would like if you have some experience
with these devices.

Thank you.

steve hand
UMCP