Re: HPS Membership

At least some of us has missed the point of Ron's comment.  The
issue I saw Ron raising is as follows:

An individual is claimed by the newspapers as the institution's
"leading radiation safety expert".  What would lead you to accept
this as a valid claim of expertise?

The field of health physics is not all that large.  I know, either
personally, by name or by face, a significant number of those
individuals who are truly expert in the field.  Also, as an HP, I
get protective of my field: I don't wish the public to accept
"expert" commentary from someone who does not actually have that
expertise (it's usually known as "fraud").  So if I see a name I
don't know, I ask "is this person really an expert?".  Since I don't
know every expert in the field, I check my resources, starting with
the HPS membership handbook.  If I find a listing of the person as
an HP, CHP, etc...., I am much more willing to give them the
benefit of the doubt than if they are not.

But please note there is a major difference between "giving the
benefit of the doubt" than automatically accepting the person is or
is not an expert. As others have pointed out, being a member of the
HPS or having CHP behind one's name does not confer infallibility,
nor does the lack thereof confer incompetance.

Wes
Wesley M. Dunn, CHP                        512-834-6688
Deputy Director, Licensing                 512-834-6690 (fax)
(Texas) Bureau of Radiation Control        wdunn@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us