Re: Wanted - a simple way to detect x-rays

Hello,

> Does any one have a simple electronic circuit using off the self
> diodes to detect x-rays? I also thought a photodiode and a phosphor
> might work.

it depends on what you want to detect.

To simply detect x-rays in radiography you could connect a photodiode
(e.g. BPW34 with around 300kOhm in parallel) to an oscilloscope (typ.
1 MOhm // a few pF input impedance) without any other circuitry and
view the photovoltaic response. You will not get much more information
than 'existance' and duration of the x-ray pulse.

Measurement of ionization current could be also done with a
PIN-photodiode and an op amp in a current-to-voltage circuit. Samples
for and discussion of such circuits (noise, bandwidth) is available
amongst others in application notes and data sheets from Burr-Brown
(http://www.burr-brown.com) or Analog Devices (http://www.analog.com). E.g.
You could ask your local representative for the 'Applications
Handbook' from Burr-Brown in which this type of opamp circuit is
discussed. For a BPW34 (about 7 mm2 sensitive area and 0.3 mm
thickness of the depletion layer at around 30 V bias) you could
expect something like 100 nA per R/s.

Besides direct ionization in the photodiode you could also
use scintillators but the respose of Si-diodes in the blue and
UV-region drops fast, so one should rather go for green or even red
emitters.

For the detection of single x-ray photons PIN-photodiodes used at room
temperature are suitable with some limitations for energy dispersive
measurements (low counting efficiency, resolution above 2 keV at 60
keV photon energy). Then one has to use common electronics for photon
spectrometry (charge sensitive preamp, shaping amp, multichannel
analyser, etc.).

Regards,

Robert Nowotny
Univ.Doz. Dr. Robert Nowotny<R.Nowotny@BMTP.AKH-Wien.ac.at>
Institut f. Biomed. Technik und Physik, Univ. Wien
AKH-4L, Waehringer Guertel 18-20, A-1090 Wien, Austria
Phone: +43-1-40400-1988; Fax: +43-1-40400-3988