Re: LNT info for the layperson

Chris -- I read your RadSafe e-mail with great interest.  I too do
communications for Cal Rad, Eagle Alliance and Radiation Science and Health
and collect news clips for the layperson.  June 1997 Nuclear News has a very
understandable article by Ted Rockwell, "What's wrong with being cautious?"
and one by Myron Pollycove, "The rise and fall of the LNT theory of Radiation
Carcinogenesis."  There is also a Washington Post April 14th Science article,
"Atomic Split: Data Recharge Debate on Low-Level Radiation Risk," and in
March 3, 1997, The Scientist by Rockwell,  "Our Radiation Protechtion Policy
is a Hazard to Public Health."  Finally, Al Tschaeche (antatnsu@pacbell.net)
also listed a ?Times Article in April by Steve Connor, "Small dose of
radiation can improve health."

I'd be very interested in the outcome of these meetings or any communications
printed.  RSH's focus (there is an LNT meeting planned in DC for January) has
been, not the public, but the protection agencies whose low release stands
and policies induce public fear by regulating extremely low levels of
radiation, hundreds of milirems less than natural background.

Check out the Waste Management Symposia web page (www.wmsym.org) for
conference info.