Re: ethics, etc.

I'll say only: that Dave's comments are fair; and that

1. The data and case for hormesis is from the biologists, see the Board and
Members of Radiation, Science, and Health, (I'm the only engineer, plus John
Graham? but we just look at their data. The LNT comes mostly from physicists
with a "billiard ball" view of biology). And engineering looks at all the
data, we don't want buildings to fall down and boilers to explode, while
scientists tend to focus only on their own narrow specialty whether other
evidence is contrary, and whether the "theory" will fall down (and what the
funding sources want and what the policy makers will do with their results).

2. I don't equate ethics with philosophy much, but you remind me that Bertrand
Russell said a lot about it. One very relevant synthesis of academic ethics in
general terms of the American culture is a book titled "Lying" by Sisela Bok
(the wife of the President of Harvard, so it got a lot of attention here in
the Boston area) although I don't recall whether she used "technocratic" in
addressing the rationalization phenomenon. I went thru a lot of this
literature in the mid-late 70s, a few academic sources and some science and
technology-specific sources. (I was led to some of this by Norm Frigerio in
'77-'78 who was a Renaissance man and Patriarch of the Greek Orthodox Church,
and who was surprizingly philosophical about the background to the suppression
of his report and future work, but he had understood the conditions from the
earlier Oak Ridge experiences of others who had tried to pursue the evidence).
And

3. My "analogy" is inappropriate, but again your use of their words is not a
justification for their contrary actions that carry a much stronger message
and result in causing fear. Robley Evans noted his own contribution to
fear-mongering about fallout in the 50's as a "justified" action to constrain
use of nuclear weapons, as have others who participated in the "fear
campaigns", which are now emulated by the EPA about radon.

Regards, Jim