Alpha Spectroscopy

Radsafers,
	We are considering trying to analyze unprepared air filter media (whatman
41 and membrane) using alpha spectroscopy (traditional as opposed to Frisch
type) for nuclide identification.  Some questions have been raised
concerning resolution, efficiency, and chamber contamination.  As a result,
we are polling Radsafers to determine the following:
-   What are typically the expected resolutions for counting unprepared
samples of this type using a surface barrier or ion-implanted silicon
detector?
-   Efficiencies?
-   Likelihood of contaminating the chamber/detector from resuspended
particulates?
	As we are now in the investigation phase, any and all information will be
appreciated.  This is most likely old news to most, so please respond
directly to reduce the RADSAFE clutter.

Thanks,
Kelly

Kelly Ausbrooks
LMES-Paducah Radiation Protection
(502)441-5123 - office
(502)441-5042 - fax
email - AusbrooksKL@ORNL.GOV

The content of this message has not been reviewed or endorsed by
my employer.