Re: HPS Objective

David Lee is absolutely right in arguing for what is effectively a de
minimis level to go along with ALARA-- but 600-900 rem per year ???!!! [I
think you meant mrem].  In any, de minimis levels of varying amounts have
been proposed, sometimes under different names (eg the NIRL of the NCRP).
Again, in establishing a de minimis value, prudence should dictate.  Perhaps
the question, paraphrashing what Robley Evans asked when setting the radium
MPBB back about 1941 (many years, of course, before most of us were born) --
should be:  would you let your children (or, for those born before Evans
asked, your grandchildren) be exposed to that level?  or your unborn child?
Or for contamination, would you let you kids play in it?  We also have to
remember that de minimis exclusions could be additive:  in other words, if
100 mrem per year is the accepted level, how do I get protected from 20 or
even 10 individual de minimis exposures, which could result an annual dose
of several rem.  The problem is more complex than we sometimes realize but
nonetheless I think if we honestly answer these types of questions, we might
come to some reasonable concensus.  I for one would urge the adoption (and
have done so in a number of publications)of a modest de minimis level for
regulatory application.

Ron Kathren